1. Public support of “Disengagement” plummeted to 48%, down from 70% a few weeks ago. According to polls, while support has been soft, the opposition to “Disengagement” has been solid. Recent polls have been conducted while the entire media has been deployed in support of “Disengagement”, denying opponents an equal platform.
2. GENERAL YA’ALON, THE OUTGOING CHAIRMAN OF ISRAEL’s JOINT C-o-S BLASTS “DISENGAGEMENT” (Ha’aretz, June 3, 2005). Ya’alon cautions that “Disengagement” would be a tailwind to Palestinian terrorism, bringing Kassam missiles and homicide bombing to Tel Aviv, Jerusalem, Kfar Saba and other major cities. He warns that the Soft Belly of Israel would become a regular target for Palestinian terrorism.
3. General Ya’alon determines that “Disengagement” has been perceived by the Palestinians as a cut & run, emboldening terrorists: “The Palestinians believe that they are advancing their goal… while Israel retreats.”
4. General Ya’alon claims that “Israel’s military re-engagement [since 2002/3] with Palestinian cities has tilted the battle on terrorism in favor of Israel, has reduced the number of casualties, has bolstered Israel’s steadfastness, has contributed to economic recovery and has acquired international legitimacy… Until the inception of “Disengagement” the Palestinians reassessed their position on terrorism, concluding that violence yields no rewards.” But, then came the plan of “Disengagement”, which has adrenalized Palestinian terrorism.
5. General Ya’alon insists that “Disengagement” would demolish recent Israeli achievements in its war on terrorism, and would produce a wave of terrorism, which would dwarf the one that has plagued Israel since the conclusion of the 1993 Oslo Accord.
6. GENERAL YA’ALON CONTENDS THAT A PALESTINIAN STATE WOULD BE A LETHAL THREAT TO THE JEWISH STATE, would exacerbate terrorism and would be a catalyst to a horrific war.
7. General Ya’alon concludes that ABU MAZEN HAS NOT ACCEPTED ISRAEL’S RIGHT TO EXIST. “Abu Mazen has not given away the claim of return… which stands for the destruction of the Jewish State.”
8. VITAL U.S. INTERESTS WOULD BE UNDERMINED BY “DISENGAGEMENT”, which would increase violence and instability, distance the area from peace, upgrading the position of rogue regimes and threatening the survival of pro-US regimes.